After these two teams reportedly had a scuffle in a joint practice on Thursday, this game shouldn’t lack any intensity. Another week into the preseason brings with it more playing time for the starters, likely up to a half. This is the last real chance for a couple weeks for the long shots to make an impression, so these games usually get good in the second half. Here are a few things to keep an eye on this week:
- Perriman injury creates opportunity. With first round pick Breshad Perriman sidelined with a knee issue, that opens up the field for guys like Kamar Aiken, Michael Campanero and Jeremy Butler to make an impact and, in Aiken’s care, maybe work his way into the Week 1 starting lineup. Campanero and Butler are both slot options, but could solidify their roles with “The Burner” on the shelf temporarily.
- Can the D slow down Kelly’s high flying offense? Even if it’s only for a half or so, it will be interesting to see how the Ravens attempt to contain the electric offense in Philadelphia. With Suggs, Dumervil and company coming off of the edge, the Ravens will likely look to plug up the middle. This will be another good test for the secondary, as Jordan Matthews is one of the budding stars of the league at Wide Receiver.
- Who will emerge in the Runningback race? Justin Forsett is pretty safe as starter, but behind him is one of the more intriguing competitions on the team. Lorenzo Taliaferro and Buck Allen are both fighting for the back-up Runningback spot, and both bring different things. Taliaferro is more of a pounder, while Allen catches the ball well and is silky smooth running the ball.
- Can the youngsters keep it up? There were a few impressive rookies last week on Defense, including Za’Darius Smith and Nick Perry. Smith is likely a lock to make the roster, but Perry is still fighting to be the 3rd or 4th Safety on the roster. Fighting adversity, the Ravens came back to win last week, can they do it again this week?
- Tight Ends seeking to prove themselves. With the announcement this week that Dennis Pitta will once again start the season the PUP list, and will be unavailable until week 7, the three other Tight Ends will look to pick up the slack. Crockett Gilmore and Maxx Williams will look to compete for the starting spot, and Nick Boyle will look to continue to sure up the 3rd spot.