The Mystics had two impressive victories over the Minnesota Lynx before taking on the Chicago Sky in a mini-weekend series. The race for the playoffs and first place in the East is very congested, the margin for error is extremely small. The Sky took a step in the right direction by sweeping the Mystics in the mini-series to jump over them in the Eastern Conference standings. All is not lost for Washington as they still have time to make another run up the standings before the regular season comes to a close in September.
• Mystics started the game with three offensive rebounds on the first possession after losing the rebound battle on Friday night against Chicago, the Sky had one more rebound than Washington today.
• Tierra Ruffin- Pratt forced Elena Delle Donne into back to back air balls.
• Despite giving up a few inches, TRP was in Delle Donne’s back pocket all game and forced her to go 7/22 from the field.
• Mystics couldn’t buy a bucket early, they shot to 31% in the first quarter.
• Mystics held Sky to 31% shooting in the first quarter also.
• Ally Malott played aggressive, she had four points in the first quarter off drives to the baskets.
• Kia Vaughn played excellent help defense, had two blocks.
• Malott and Vaughn filled in nicely for LaToya Sanders, who didn’t play on Sunday.
• Lawson and Latta had five points each in the quarter.
• Lawson/ Latta did a good job spreading the floor with their outside shooting, they finished with 34 combined points. Lawson had 19. Latta had 15.
• Mystics had six turnovers in the second quarter.
• Latta made back to back buckets to cut the lead to two points right before halftime.
• Sky won free throw battle in the second quarter and shot 23 total compared to the Mystics 18. Chicago made 16 free throws in the game. Washington made 14.
• The third quarter was sloppy, I think Chicago and Washington tied a record for most jump balls in a quarter with three.
• Mystics passed up on some good looks, sometimes they can be too selfless as a team and defer to each other to a fault.
• Lawson hit a three to cut the lead to one with 5:42 remaining in the quarter
• Lawson had a game high 19 points on 6/14 shooting from the field and 3/6 shooting from beyond the arc.
• Lawson/ Latta three point shooting kept the Mystics in the game, they went 6/13 from beyond the arc. The rest of the team went 0/7.
• It was a slow start to the 4th quarter for Washington, they trailed by seven with six min left.
• Out of the timeout with under six to go, the bigs: Emma Meesseman and Stefanie Dolson made back to back buckets.
• TRP’s first points of the game gave the Mystics a lead with four min left when she passed up an open three and drove to basket.
• Della Donne hit a tough leaner to tie the game at 59 and then split a pair of free throws.
• Emma found TRP for a jumper to give the Mystics a 61-60 lead.
• Allie Quigley/ Cappie Pondexter came back and a hit consecutive jumpers to give the Sky a three point lead.
• Lawson hit a three to tie the game with 28 seconds left.
• Pondexter made game winning layup after she drove from the top of the key after not using a pick, she went right around Dolson and TRP for an easy layup.
• Lawson missed a fadeaway that would’ve tied the game.
We’re always trying new things here at My Mind on Sports, this is the first recap of this style. Please let us know what you think by leaving a comment below, thanks!!