AFL Valor 

Washington finally gets their first win of the season

The Washington Valor earned their first win of the season after losing their first seven games in a row with a 49-48 victory over the defending-champion Philadelphia Soul. Philadelphia took a 7-0 lead just two minutes into the game when quarterback Shane Austin, who played for the Valor earlier this season found Darius Prince for his first of four receiving touchdowns on the evening. The Valor answered quickly with a five-yard touchdown pass from Arvell Nelson to Chris Duvalt to tie up the score at seven at the end of the first quarter. Philadelphia took a 14-7 lead five seconds into the second quarter when Austin threw a 23-yard touchdown pass to Prince his second of the night. After a recovered onside kick the soul extended their lead to 21-7 just minutes later when Austin found wide receiver Aaron Wascha for an 11-yard touchdown pass.
Washington cut the lead to one possession on the following drive when Nelson again found Duvalt in the end zone for a 14-yard touchdown completion. With three minutes left in the half the Soul took a 28-14 lead on Prince’s third touchdown reception of the game after another failed onside kick by the Valor. Washington began their comeback with  back-to-back drives ending with touchdowns by receivers Josh Reese and Reggie Gray. The Soul also had a touchdown in between the two Washington scores by Darrius Reynolds, Washington would tie the score at 35 by the end of the third quarter.  The Soul’s first fourth quarter possession ended on a failed fourth-down conversion giving Washington the ball inside the 5-yard line and the Valor cashed in on a touchdown run by Nelson bringing the score to 42-35.
Philadelphia made things even at 42 on their next possession just three minutes later on a  Wascha 4-yard touchdown run, but  another Valor rushing touchdown gave Washington back the lead at 49-42 and they would not relinquish it. Prince scored his fourth touchdown of the game for the Soul on the next possession, but the extra point was blocked. That left them one point short of the Valor, a failed onside kick is what followed the extra point miss. Washington didn’t help themselves by fumbling three plays later, Philadelphia took over with 37 seconds left in the game. That’s when newly signed cornerback Fred Obi intercepted Austin at the Valor four-yard line to end Philadelphia’s comeback hopes, securing Washington’s first win of the season.

Written by 

Related posts

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.