1. The youthful New Orleans Hornets have the talent needed to win their division. A high paced offense led by Austin Rivers is prepared to shock the NBA. The Hornets’ division opponents are older or in rebuilding mode. A strong draft highlighted by number one pick Anthony Davis, makes up for a quiet offseason.
2. The San Antonio Spurs have figured out how to stay relevant for a long period of time. The combination of youth and future hall of famers still makes the Spurs a title threat. If Tim Duncan can continue to utilize his limited minutes his team will succeed. A quiet draft is the team’s only downfall.
3. Dirk Nowitzki’s experience and playmaking ability is the only thing that separates the Mavericks from Houston and Memphis. Failure to surround Dirk with key free agents puts Dallas in a tough situation. Mark Cuban failed to create a productive offseason putting all the expectations on his star player. An average draft gave fans a little light in a gloomy offseason.
4. Memphis has played the upset role the last few years in the playoffs. A talented squad featuring Zach Randolph is ready to take the next step. The championship window is slowly starting to shrink. The Grizzlies will have to have a breakout year if they want to avoid last place in their division.
5. Every year the Rockets are mentioned as a possible landing spot for marquee free agents. Point guard sensation Jeremy Lin gives Houston a small chance at a playoff berth. A lack of talent will prevent the Houston rockets from being successful. A nearly flawless season will have to take place if the Rockets want to compete in their division.
Written By Sam Goldman
Follow Sam on Twitter: @206since94