New York Giants 24
Washington Redskins 17
The Washington Redskins suffered another disheartening loss, this time against the New York Giants.
Stat of the Day: Justin Tuck sacked RG3 four times in the span of seven plays.
Player of the Game: RG3– Griffin III completed 24 of 32 passes and rushed for 88 yards.
TURNING POINT: Long snapper, Kyle Nelson botched a punt snap and held on the play giving the Giants the ball in the Redskins territory. The Giants scored a touchdown on the drive, giving New York a 21-17 lead.
1. The opening drive- The Redskins offense was crisp and used a no huddle attack, which caught the Giants off balance. Washington went 73 yards on 14 plays and scored a touchdown to start the game.
2. Brian Orakpo- “Rak” took advantage of Will Beatty all night, he played the run well and had two sacks.
1. The offensive line- Like the rest of the team, the offensive line played well early and then they couldn’t run block or pass block.
2. Dropped passes- the Redskins dropped three receptions on the final drive and fumbled the ball.
3. Offensive third down efficiency- 5 for 16 (31% ) isn’t good enough to win games, worth noting the Giants on average allow their opponents to convert 40% of their third downs.
4. Kyle Nelson- I hate to single out one person but his gaffe hurt the Redskins. I would have more lenience to a player at another position but the long snapper has one job.
The Redskins offense played well for the first 25 minutes and that was it. Washington has not been able to keep drives alive all season. Same story just a different day: offensive line crumbling, receivers have trouble getting open, RG3 taking big hits, spotty play calling … rinse and repeat.
The defense was solid: forcing a turnover, holding the Giants to 4/12 on third downs, and 286 total yards. However, it seems that this season the offense and defense are never good at the same time.
Special Teams– F
No surprise the Redskins special teams failed them again.
Who’s next: The Redskins (3-9) play the Kansas City Chiefs (9-3) on Sunday at FedEx Field.