After every Redskins preseason game MyMindOnSports’ Troy Jefferson brings you his thoughts in an informal bullet point style format.
Patriots 6 Redskins 23
First game of the season is in the books! Albeit first preseason game of the season… not to mention Tom Brady, DeSean Jackson, Pierre Garcon, Rob Gronkowski, Darrelle Revis, Chandler Jones, Dont’a Hightower, Jerod Mayo and Jamie Collins didn’t suit up.
- Wide Receiver and running back look like two deep positions for the Redskins
- Alfred Morris looked solid as usual (5 touches/ 27 yards)
- RG3 was 2/4 for 9 yards but in his two completions what I liked was how he kept his eyes moving through his progressions before ultimately taking the check down
- Jordan Reed caught my eye in run blocking … with the exception of health this was the knock on him last year
- Zach Hocker >>> 2/2 on field goals and confirmed he has a stronger leg than Forbath
- Forbath (1/2 on field goals) will have to show he can make field goals because Hocker is the better kickoff man
- 4 man pass rush vs. New England’s starters was real good
- Keenan Robinson looked instinctive and has a nose for the football
- Constant/ relentless pass rush by the Redskins meant less pressure on the secondary… first team secondary wasn’t really tested
- One guy that caught my eye but didn’t win my game MVP was Rashad Ross… had a big catch for 35 yards and a kick return for 37.
- Read a lot of reports about how Ryan Grant was impressing in camp and was glad to see that translate to game conditions. Had one acrobatic catch, finished with three catches for 37 yards
- Kirk Cousins looked well like Kirk Cousins- forced a pass deep into double coverage and locks onto receivers at times but you can tell he’s comfortable under center. He finished 9/13 for 103 yards and one touchdown
- Colt McCoy was efficient: 8/9 for 102 yards and one touchdown
- Loved the commitment to the run by Gruden: 42 rushing attempts compared to 26 passes
- No turnovers and 19 more minutes of possession also caught my eye
- Seastrunk and Redd both flashed in the run game, they combined for 108 yards
- Don’t forget about Chris Thompson, who showed soft hands on two check downs. He totaled two catches for 12 yards
- However, Helu looked solid as usual and is my lead dog for the 3rd down back position
- I know it’s preseason but 10 penalties for 79 yards is a killer (one offsides penalty on a kickoff negated a turnover), worth noting a pass interference penalty accounted for a chunk of that yardage… piggy backing off that the defense had a hell of a defensive stand on that drive and forced a four and out
- Redskins haven’t loss a preseason game since 2012 if you’re into that sort of thing
- Player of the game: Aldrick Robinson (3 catches for 45 yards and one touchdown)
All in all a good performance to build on. Again it’s only the first preseason game and both teams sat important players.