Final: Titans 17 Redskins 19
• I’ll preface everything with saying Tennessee is one of the worst teams in football and like the game against Jacksonville everything needs to be considered with that in mind
• Let’s start with the quarterback
• Once again Kirk Cousins struggled with any throw that wasn’t a bootleg or a screen… oh and he made sure to throw the bone head interception… Kirk seems to get real jumpy in the pocket on third down. Eight interceptions in the last four games is just unacceptable, even worse the offense was stuck in neutral in all four games. Glad Colt McCoy got the nod in the second half.
• McCoy was efficient off the bench, wasn’t a gamechanger but didn’t kill us with turning over the football
• Showed a lot of poise on the game winning drive, again didn’t force anything… don’t forget Cousins did really well in his relief appearance against Jacksonville earlier in the year as well… let’s see what McCoy does when the opposing team has a week to gameplan for him
• Redskins have too many weapons (Ex. Garcon turning a five yard throw into a 70 yard touchdown), if McCoy can just keep the offense “on schedule” then that should be enough to at least stay competitive
• Good things happen when you throw deep to DeSean…. 1. He’ll make the catch 2. He’ll draw a penalty
• Jordan Reed once again was fantastic, every time he steps on the field he is a matchup nightmare. Watching him play is one of the few bright spots in what is looking like a lost 2014 season.
• To the bad… I’m tired of the sloppy penalties and settling for field goals instead of scoring touchdowns
• Doesn’t it seem like every positive Redskins play is followed by 1. A false start 2. A delay of game penalty 3. A holding penalty 4. A turnover??
• Moving to the defense… a couple of players stood out: Bashaud Breeland and Jason Hatcher… Breeland made a good break on the ball for an interception in the second quarter, he also had five tackles, two of which were for a loss
• Hatcher is fundamentally sound and brings an intensity/ heart the Redskins defense sorely needs … 3 plays stick out to me from the game 1. The first one showed his gap integrity, the Titans threw a quick screen to Kendall Wright instead of mentally spacing out Hatcher stayed in his gap and was ready to make the tackle for a loss when Wright came back to his side… 2. The next play Whitehurst throws to his running back in the flat/ Hatcher pushes the right tackle into the backfield/sheds him and makes the tackle… dude is a one man wrecking ball… 3. Whitehurst escapes the pocket, guess who is behind him chasing him with no helmet? Jason Hatcher
• As a whole I was happy with the defense, held the Titans to 236 total yards and forced a turnover
• Haven’t mentioned the special teams yet which means they played pretty well which in the Redskins case means they didn’t do anything stupid… actually it was the Titans who made the careless error … Dexter McCluster made an attempt to field an uncatchable punt, which bounced off him and resulted in a Redskins takeaway which they were able to turn into three points.
MVP: Kai Forbath
Least Valuable Player: Kirk Cousins
Special Teams- A