Hayfield stuns Wakefield, going down 20 and completing the rally

The second game of the day pitted the Wakefield Warriors versus the Hayfield Hawks. In Wakefield, you had the young, athletic team that wanted to showcase it’s speed by pushing the tempo and shooting at will. Hayfield, wanted no parts of that. As a veteran laden team, they were looking to dictate the tempo by executing in the half court and running in transition at their terms and at their terms only. It was truly a game of runs, huge runs. The veterans were able to rally and pull out the 90-85 win.

The Warriors started the game with an impressive 15-2 run highlighted by the skill and shooting of Khory Moore and Ermias Nega. They did their best splash brothers imitation during that run with both players knocking down rather abrasive three-pointers. They were able to get stops and play the game at their tempo, which was extremely fast. Hayfield hit a couple of shots to close the gap, but the Warriors kept hitting at the outrageous clip they were shooting at. Extending the lead to 17 with just two minutes left in the half.

Then it happened, Brandon Wimbush sparked a massive Hawks run that put a huge dent in Wakefield’s once large lead. Wimbush hit a couple of triples, Chad Canady joined in with a few triples and all of a sudden the Hawks found themselves down just seven heading into the half.

Once the Hawks had cut it to single digits, you could feel the tide turning in the gym. Hayfield had a bounce in their step that was sorely missing for the first half. As the teams began to trade baskets, Moore showed of his impressive shot making ability by hitting a well-contested step-back three to stymie a Hayfield run. Luckily for the Hawks, Wimbush stayed hot in the second half. A quick flurry of threes left Wakefield up just four points, Wimbush’s will to win appeared to be contagious.

The Warriors saw their lead cut to one after a strong rebound and put-back by Hayfield’s Jamar Claxton. Canady would hit a tough layup in traffic to tie the game at 35. ┬áThen Jason Evans got hot for the Hawks, he hit back-to-back pull up jumpshots to extend Hayfield’s lead to seven.

Wakefield cut the lead to three points after two free throws from Moore with 1:44 left in the game. Both teams locked in on the defensive end heading down the stretch. The Hawks got a little sloppy and it almost cost them, after a triple from Nega, the Hawks inbound pass was stolen by the Warriors. They kicked the ball out for a three pointer rather than take the quick two, the missed triple would land in the hands of the Hawks. The foul game would be played and the vets weren’t missing from the charity stripe, a very good win for the Hawks.

Written by 

CEO/Founder of My Mind on Sports For More Information on Wilson, check out his Bio in the "Team" Section Follow Wilson on Twitter: @Willietspeaks

Related posts

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.