D.C. United MLS 

D.C. United heads home with a point after a scoreless draw

There were chances, that is what was taken away from this game. The Black-and-Red were again on the road and nearly pulled it off, coming close to leaving New England with the full three points. Although, they also came close to leaving New England with no points and a second consecutive loss to start the season. Instead, they survived a few scares while playing a very sound game on the road. They churned out a 0-0 draw against the Revolution, Marcelo was incredible in the middle of the field for D.C. United.

It wasn’t as great a start as last week for the Black-and-Red, but they didn’t surrender a single shot on goal in the first 45 minutes. There were several dangerous situations in which New England threatened, but nothing came out of it. D.C. United played decent defense, but struggled to sustain meaningful  possessions. A large part of that had to do with the failure to play the ball to the feet of their forwards. It was more of those hopeful long balls that would only pay off if the forward was able to win the ball back from the New England defender.

Nick DeLeon sat back a bit more compared to last week, helping Marcelo more in midfield and it was needed. Lee Nguyen and Diego Fagundez created a lot of trouble as they weaved in and out of the middle of the field. Opening space up in the attacking third and finding teammate on the flanks. Charlie Davies would go out nearly 35 minutes into the game, bringing on Juan Agudelo. As expected, Luciano Acosta made a few appearances in the half with a gorgeous move between three defenders, but those moments were far too few from D.C. United.

Things were much of the same in the second half, New England would continue to dominate possession while D.C. United would continue to lock things down defensively. The best chance for the Revs came when Lee Nguyen found himself in the box and blasted a shot that didn’t dip under the crossbar, the bar blocked the shot to avert the danger.

Saborio and Buescher would come on in the second half for Acosta and Rolfe. Tierny would find Kellyn Rowe who came on late in the second half on the far post in the 81st minute, but the youngster’s touch was off and the visitors would again a catastrophe.

Aguilar came on for the Black-and-Red in the 83rd minute and instantly made an impact, he won a ball outside and beat a defender to apply pressure to the backline of New England. He tried to find Jullian in the box, at the far post but New England was able to get a foot on the ball and force a corner. Buescher would take the corner and put a very dangerous ball across the face of the goal. Sabo ran to the front of the net but mistimed it a bit, the ball would roll by and DeLeon would receive it outside the far post. Nick took a blistering shot, but the ball sailed on him, it was their best chance of the day outside of Acosta’s near breakaway in the first half.

In stoppage time, New England would get a point blank shot on goal. They would catch D.C. United on a counter, the backline wasn’t on the same page. Rowe would get the ball near the far post with a point blank shot on goal, but he would miss wide. There wouldn’t be much after that for either team as the game soon ended.

D.C. United gets close to a full week to get closer to full strength for their home opener next Sunday.

Written by 

CEO/Founder of My Mind on Sports For More Information on Wilson, check out his Bio in the "Team" Section Follow Wilson on Twitter: @Willietspeaks

Related posts

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.